Early Central Florida History
On July 21, 1821, there were two counties formed in Florida - Escambia to the west and St Johns to the east. From these two counties were formed over sixty counties.
In 1824, the area to the south of St Johns County became Mosquito County, and Enterprise was named the County Seat. The name was changed to Orange County in 1845 when Florida became a state.
A year before, in 1844, Brevard County was also carved out of Mosquito County. On May 12, 1887, Osceola was named a County, having been created from both Orange and Brevard Counties. At that time Osceola extended all the way down to Lake Okeechobee, and did so until 1917.