Approved By Laws
Article I - Purpose
The Osceola County Library Advisory Board is a citizen’s advisory board organized primarily for the purpose of providing assistance to the Board of County Commissioners to advise them regarding various aspects of the Library system and created by Ordinance 89-18.
Article II - Membership
Number of Members
The Osceola County Library Advisory Board shall consist of seven (7) members.
Appointment of Members
Each County Commissioner may nominate one member from his/her respective district for membership to the Advisory Board. The Board of County Commissioners shall also appoint two (2) at-large members. When practicable, one (1) of the members shall be a member of the Friends of the Library group and one (1) of the members shall be a member of the Osceola County Bar Association. An affirmative vote of a majority of the quorum of the Board of County Commissioners shall be required before a nominee is appointed.
Term of Membership
The term of service for members of the Advisory Board shall be made for a term of two (2) years each. Each member shall serve only two (2) full successive terms. All members of the Advisory Board shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of County Commissioners throughout their terms, and as such, any member may be removed for any reason by a majority vote of the Board of County Commissioners.
Article III - Officer and Member Responsibilities
Officers shall be a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson, and a Secretary.
Election of the Officers
The Advisory Board shall, by majority vote, annually elect Officers from among its members at the first meeting of each calendar year. Each Officer shall retain his/her elected position for a term not to exceed one (1) year. Vacancies in Office shall be filled by special election at the next regular meeting of the Library Advisory Board after the vacancy has occurred. Such action may be delayed until a later meeting upon proper motion by a member of the Library Advisory Board.
- Preside at all meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Execute all documents authorized by the Advisory Board.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the Advisory Board.
- With approval of the Advisory Board, may appoint sub-committees of one or more individuals to determine and report on any matter requested.
- Authorize special meetings upon appropriate request.
- Approve or deny requests made by non-members to appear before the Advisory Board during regularly scheduled or special meetings.
- Serve as a liaison between the Department of Library Services and the Board of County Commissioners.
Assume all duties and responsibilities of the Chairperson in the event that the Chairperson is absent.
Assume all duties and responsibilities in the event of the absence of the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson and any other duties as directed.
Each member of the Advisory Board shall strive to promote and support the operation of the Osceola County Library System, including raising awareness within the community of library services.
Library Staff liaisons assigned to support the Library Advisory Board
Library Services Manager, Library Services Director or Acting Library Services Director, and Recording Secretary. These are non-voting positions.
Article IV - Functions of the Advisory Board
- Promoting and supporting the administration and operation of the Osceola County Library System and the Department of Library Services.
- Promote and support current Florida Public Library Standards as adopted by the Florida Library Association.
- Act as liaison between the citizens of Osceola County, the Department of Library Services, and the Board of County Commissioners.
- Serve as an information and advisory vehicle for the Board of County Commissioners.
- Appoint committees to review and investigate matters as requested by the Library Director or the Board of County Commissioners.
- Inquiries directed to the Advisory Board shall be in writing and signed by the inquiring party.
- The findings of the Advisory Board shall be in a written format and present the appropriate advisory recommendation.
- These reports will be considered public record and open for review by the public.
- Consider various programs and aspects of the Library System upon the request of the Board of County Commissioners, the County Manager, the Library Services Manager, and/or the Library Director.
Article V - Administration
- Regular meetings shall be on a quarterly basis or more frequently as set by the Advisory Board.
- The Advisory Board is subject to Florida’s Government in the Sunshine and Public Records Laws.
- All meetings will be open to the public and advertised as required by Florida’s Government in the Sunshine Law, and posted online on the County and Library web site.
Special meetings may be called at the direction of the Chairperson upon request by two (2) or more members of the Advisory Board or, under exceptional circumstances, by the Library Services Manager or Library Director.
Meeting Minutes / Recommendations
- The minutes of all meetings shall be kept by the Department of Library Services.
- Copies of said minutes shall remain on file with the office of the Osceola County Commissioner’s Clerk of the Board.
- Copies of all written advisory opinions issued by the Advisory Board shall also remain on file with the Board of County Commissioners.
Code of Ethics
The Osceola County Library Advisory Board is governed by the Code of Ethics for Public Officers and Employees of the State of Florida. Each member shall govern themselves accordingly, whether individually or collectively.
Transaction of Business
A quorum for the transaction of business shall consist of four (4) members of the Advisory Board who are present, in person, for the meeting. When there are vacancies in the membership of the Advisory Board, the quorum required shall be reduced to a majority of the Library Advisory Board membership. The quorum shall not be reduced in instances of absenteeism.
Two (2) consecutive absences or more than 50% absences of regularly scheduled meetings during a year may be reported to the County Commission with a recommendation for a replacement. All absences require notification to one of the Advisory Board Officers prior to the meeting or a designated staff member who shall inform the Library Advisory Board Chairperson. If prior notification is impossible or is impractical under the circumstances, then notice shall be given to one of the Advisory Board Officers as quickly as possible.
Rules of Order
Roberts’ Rules of Order, newest edition, may govern the conduct of all meetings of the Advisory Board.
- Amendments to the by-laws may be made; however, all amendments require the majority vote of the Advisory Board members.
- Written notice of the proposed amendment(s) must be provided by mail or electronic notification to each member at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting at which the proposed amendment is scheduled for voting.
- A copy of the revised by-laws shall be filed with the Osceola County Commissioner’s Clerk of the Board.
The By-Laws for the Osceola County Library Advisory Board, as stated above, are hereby approved by the Osceola County Library Advisory Board.