Live Chat
Osceola Sectional Hero
Human Services Main Office
M - F: 8am - 5pm
(407) 742-8400
330 N Beaumont Ave
Kissimmee, FL 34741

Frequently Asked Questions

3.00 - Landlords

3.01) I am interested in listing my property(s) on your Section 8 program. How can I go about doing that?

A Landlord Registration Packet can be picked up at our office located at:

Osceola County Housing Agency
330 N. Beaumont Ave.
Kissimmee, FL 34741

You may do so between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. If you live outside our jurisdiction, a packet can be mailed to you. If you have any questions please contact our office at 407-742-8400.

3.02) What is the Section 8 Program?

The Section 8 Program is a federal rent subsidy which assists participants with monthly rental payments. The Section 8 Program is to ensure that the families have a safe, decent and sanitary place to live. The OCHA administers funds received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (U.S. HUD) and distributes them in the form of Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers to eligible families and individuals.

A Voucher allows participating households (tenants) to rent housing that meets their needs. The tenant pays a portion of the rent directly to the landlord. OCHA pays the landlord the difference between the tenant's portion of the rent and the total rental amount.

3.03) What are my responsibilities as a Landlord?

You will be responsible for screening the families to determine if they will be good renters, complying with fair housing laws and not discriminating, making repairs that are not tenant-caused in a timely manner, complying with the terms of the Housing Assistance Program (HAP) contract, and collecting the rent due by the tenant, and otherwise enforcing the lease.

You will be required to attend a Landlord Orientation Session that will address every aspect of the program and erase any misconceptions.

3.04) How much rent may I ask for?

Please refer to the Payment Standards for Vouchers located within your Landlord Packet. Please note that this payment standard includes all utilities.

3.05) What happens once I've selected a tenant?

Once you have selected a tenant you must complete their Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) form and submit it to our office. When the RFTA has been received, we will call you to schedule an inspection of the property. The landlord must be present for this inspection. If the unit passes inspection and the rent is approved, you and the tenant sign the Lease, and you sign a concurrent Housing Assistance Payments Contract (HAP) with the OCHA.

If the unit does not pass inspection, we will allow up to ten (10) working days for correction of the repair items. A re-inspection will be necessary to confirm that the corrections have been made. Tenants have only 120 days to find housing before they risk losing their Voucher, so repairs must be made in a timely manner.

3.06) How much of the rent is paid by the tenant?

That depends on a number of factors including the income of the Section 8 Family, the deductions to which the Section 8 participant is entitled, the number of people in the household which determines their voucher size, the applicable payment standard and the utility allowance for the chosen unit. Generally speaking, the tenant will pay between 30% and 40% of their monthly-adjusted income for their rent.

3.07) When will I get paid?

The OCHA (Osceola County Housing Agency) cannot begin paying until after the unit passes inspection. Once the unit passes inspection, we will processed the case and generate a HAP (Housing Assistance payment) contract and mail it to the landlord. Upon receipt of the signed HAP contract and lease, payment will be processed.

3.08) How do I request an increase in rent?

The lease establishes the rental amount for the period covered by the lease. To request an increase in rent, the landlord must request the increase in writing to both the tenant and housing agency sixty (60) days before the lease expires. The housing agency will conduct another rent reasonable survey to see if the increase can be approved. As long as the rent you are requesting is not above market value, the increase will be considered reasonable. Rent increases will only be approved if they are reasonable and if they are not above the annual adjustment factor provided by HUD.

3.09) What if the tenant damages my unit?

You collect a security deposit for that purpose. You may not charge a Section 8 tenant any more than you would charge a non-Section 8 Tenant. The housing agency does not pay the security deposit. If the damages exceed the amount of the security deposit, you would need to go to court to get a court order for the remaining amount.