Natural and Beneficial Functions of the Floodplain
These benefits take many forms:
- Natural flood and erosion control: Providing flood storage and conveyance, reduce flood velocity.
- Water quality: Filters nutrients and impurities from runoff.
- Ground water recharge: Reduces frequency and duration of surface flow.
- Biological resources: Supports high rate of plant growth, provides breeding and feeding grounds and enhances water fowl habitat.
- Societal resources: Provides open space and aesthetic pleasures, and in areas of scientific study, provides opportunities for environmental research.