Plan Review Services
Plan Review Status
There are several ways you may obtain information regarding your project's status during the plan review process. As a general rule, review comments are available to the applicant after all departments have finished their review. To check the status of your permit you may:
- Search your permit number on the Osceola County Permit Center.
- Call our Building Office at 407-742-0200.
Our Building Office's reviewing department performs the following general functions:
- Review building plans for compliance with Florida Building and Fire Codes and other Administrative and Statutory Standards.
- Provide a comprehensive plan review to encompass different trades as building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, gas and fire.
- Assist design professionals, builders, contractors, homeowners and the public with issues related to building permits, code compliance, rules and regulations.
- Approve and process building plans for commercial and residential building permit applications.
- Process revisions for approval of a building permit.
Sometimes it is necessary to submit corrections or design changes for your plans. Or perhaps additional information was requested by the reviewer or field inspector. In order to track all paperwork, we ask that you include a transmittal cover sheet when submitting changes. Please follow the rules below to ensure your revision is processed seamlessly.
Revision Submittal Checklist:
- Attach a Transmittal Cover Letter that includes your permit number, contact info, and which departments' comments you are responding to.
- Include a Response to Comments document that clearly states the reviewer's comments and what your response is, or what action you have taken to address it.
- Include a Revised Index Sheet that lists all the drawings that have been revised.
- Submit only one (1) set of revised files. We no longer require 3 copies.
- Revised drawings shall include all the changes clouded and clearly identified with revision dates.
- Allow at least two weeks for the review process of revisions.
Revisions will be reviewed in the order they are received. Building Office approval will be given once the drawings are in compliance with the building code. Each revision must be approved, picked up and posted on the job site for the inspectors to view.
There is no charge for the first revision you submit while your permit is pending (not issued).
Subsequent revisions are charged at a rate of $16 per revised plan sheet.
Plan Review Guidelines
Florida Building Code requires a minimum plan review criteria for buildings. Construction documents shall include a minimum design criteria which includes:
- A Floor Plan
- Site Plan
- Foundation Plan
- Floor / Roof Framing Plan
- And All Exterior Elevations
There are specific minimum requirements for commercial and residential buildings. The following guidelines will provide important information to assist developers, design professionals, contractors, owners, and the general public to fulfill those minimum requirements for plan review:
- Commercial Guidelines
- Fire Review Guidelines
- Guidelines for Accessibility on Site Plans
- Residential Guidelines
Master filing is a service that provides customers with an option of submitting for plan review construction plans of a typical building or structure that could be built multiple times in multiple locations. Builders and contractors may use this option before completing documents for permitting.
Applicants will have to fill out a master file application form where a master file number will be assigned CMF# - commercial master file number or RMF# - residential master file number. The master file application will be logged into our permit system in the same manner as a building permit application and it will be scheduled to be reviewed in the order it is received.
Please be advised that a master file review is exclusively made for building code compliance which includes the following trades:
After the plans are reviewed, applicant will receive review comments for corrections.
Plan Review Comments
Plans are reviewed in the order they are received. It takes 3 to 4 weeks for the Building Office to review and issue comments on commercial buildings. Permit applications for residential buildings are reviewed and approved by the Building Office within 5 business days if drawings are in compliance with the minimum requirements of the code. It typically takes 2 weeks to review townhouses.
If drawings are found with non-compliance code items, review comments will be made available to the applicant. It is expected the applicant will submit revisions to address the review comments.
Plan Review Process
As a general rule a building permit application is processed either the same day or next business day. Copies of your application and plans are forwarded to the departments that must approve your submission. Permit applications for commercial buildings require the following departmental approvals:
- 911 Addressing
Building approval consists of separate reviews from different trades which include:
While fire review pertains to the Fire Department, it has been incorporated into the building review process for the purpose of simplifying the handling of plans. Plans are reviewed in the order they are received. It takes 3 to 4 weeks for the Building Office to review and issue comments on commercial buildings.
Permit applications for residential buildings are reviewed and approved by the Building Office within 5 business days if drawings are in compliance with the minimum requirements of the code. It typically takes 2 weeks to review townhouses.
If drawings are found with non-compliance code items, the permit will be placed on hold. It is expected the applicant will submit revisions to address the review comments. Revisions will be reviewed in the order they are received. Our Building Office will approve the permit once drawings are in compliance with the building code.