Live Chat Citizen Action Center
Osceola Sectional Hero
Administration Building - Community Development Department
M-Th: 7:30AM - 5:00PM; Fri: 9:00AM-5:00PM
(407) 742-0200
1 Courthouse Square,
Suite 1400
Kissimmee, FL 34741

About Permitting

Are you doing repairs in the aftermath of Hurricane Ian? Refer to the document below to find out what work requires a permit and other tips.

After the Flood Building Safety Guide

The Osceola County Permitting department provides a number of services to local residents and businesses. 

Obtaining a building permit is the first important step in assuring the safety of building occupants. The building permit grants legal permission to construct or alter a structure, or install or replace electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems according to prescribed building codes and standards. Therefore, it is important that all permit applicants describe the work to be performed in terms that are as specific as possible. Please use the menu below for more information.

Do I need a permit?

Any structural improvement or work that is regulated and requires a licensed contractor will require the issuance of a building permit by the Osceola County Building Office. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • All Commercial and Residential structures (homes, town homes, condos, retail and office spaces, restaurants, etc.)
  • Alterations and additions to existing structures
  • Boat docks and boat houses
  • Construction trailers
  • Conversion of existing space to a new use (Tenant Occupancy)
  • Fences
  • Garage doors
  • Garage conversions to living or office space
  • Gas installations
  • Hurricane Shutters
  • Irrigation
  • Manufactures homes – new and replacement, park models
  • New electrical services, adding fixtures, meters, upgrading or repairing existing service
  • Plumbing: new and replacement fixtures, water heaters, re-piping
  • New and replacement HVAC systems
  • Pole barns (except agricultural farm buildings)
  • Pools (in-ground and above-ground if over 24” deep), spas
  • Pool enclosures
  • Prefabricated structures such as storage buildings (sheds), gazebos and carports
  • Re-roofs and structural roofing repairs
  • Screen Rooms, changing screen rooms to glass windows
  • Signs, billboards
  • Skateboard ramps in Residential districts
  • Solar panel installations
  • Stucco
  • Ticket booths
  • Vinyl siding
  • Windows and exterior door replacements
  • Wood decks or ramps

Apply For a Building Permit

You may apply online on our Permit Center website, or you may download paper applications and submit hard copies. Click here for more information on the permitting process.

Building Permit Fees

Fees are due at the time a permit is pulled unless otherwise noted. This information is provided to assist in estimating approximate figures and is not intended to establish the final fees for permits. 

Permitting Services